Monday, September 8, 2014

First Day of School

First day back at school for the boys, and Ciara's first day doing school at home.  We got off to a pretty chaotic start, as it took longer than normal to drop off the boys.  Ciara and I made this awesome schedule last week, and although we started 30min late, we managed to complete most everything we wanted to do (mas o menos).

The day went really quickly, but I am already starting to see how homeschooling can be a more effective use of time.  When the boys got home from school and I asked each one what they did on their first day, the common answer was 'not much.' One of my pet peeves about the school is how much time is wasted each day doing 'not much.'  

In any case, I shouldn't complain, because I'm glad that the boys are going to school.  It gives me the opportunity to spend more one on one time with Ciara.  I am not against formal schooling, but it just doesn't work for everyone. 

The highlight of the day, was Ciara's Spanish class.  Arantxa Leon, who is an English and Spanish teacher and also goes to our church, came over to give Ciara a private class.  I was amazed at how much Ciara spoke.  In fact, I have never heard her speak so fluently before.   Ciara does have a gift for languages, she just needs the right opportunity and right person to bring it out. 

So my observation from our first day of formal and homeschooling is that you can accomplish a lot during the day, but there is always more stuff that needs to be done.  I realize that I didn't do the laundry that is overflowing the laundry baskets.  I didn't do any cleaning.  The boys need a few things for school tomorrow and I didn't get them.  We didn't eat dinner until 9pm, which is not really that late for Spain, but I like to have the kids ready for bed by 9:30pm, so of course they weren't.   I am really wishing that there was a 24hour Walmart around here, but for some reason, Spanish stores do not like to stay open past 8pm.  Well, we'll see what we can get done tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya,we are going to home school our 14 year old daughter for the first time this year,we live in Barcelona,have done for ten years,so if you like,we could exchange our experiences?I will leave you my email address:ariane@arianerees.com
    good luck with everything!
    Besr wishes,
    Ariane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Would love to talk with you about your experience so far.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on anything you read