Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ciara's First Day Back in School

This morning everyone got up fairly early, so I decided since it was Ciara's first day back at school I would make a special breakfast.  I make big breakfasts for the kids quite often, mostly because I don't like making bag lunches.  I figure if they get a nice big breakfast, it won't matter so much what they take for lunch.  Ciara wanted pancakes, so I made pancakes with whipped cream and strawberries and bacon on the side.

The boys left for school together and I walked Ciara to the front of the school. Ciara seemed pretty calm.  We waited outside the elementary school until all the other kids had gone inside, then we made our way to the reception desk.  The secretary took Ciara to her new class.  Ciara looked a little nervous, and I could tell just by the way that she interacted with the secretary that she was back into her just-smile-and-say-nothing-mode.  Ironically her first period back at school was an assembly with guest speaker Bob Love, former NBA star.  I learned that Bob Love had a terrible stuttering problem and could not even put two words together, but later overcame his disability and became a great public speaker.  Ciara loved this presentation.

It felt really strange to be at home all by myself after dropping Ciara off at school.  I realized that it was probably my first time alone in the house since the kids finished school last June.  I only had until 12:50pm, then I would need to pick Ciara up from school as Wednesdays are half day school, half day homeschool.  I decided that now is the time to start reorganizing my blog.  I probably should have used the time to reorganize the house, which has not had a good cleaning in many weeks, but revamping the blog is so much more interesting.  I added 2 new pages!

When I picked Ciara up at 12:50, I got to meet her teacher Miss Natalie for the first time.  She seems really nice and gentle, I think that Ciara felt at ease with her right away.  Ciara didn't have too much to say about her first half day of school.  I kept asking questions about the kids in the class, but she just said that they were okay.  Ciara is really good at giving vague answers.

Right after a quick lunch Arantxa came to give Ciara her Spanish lesson.  Ciara will have Spanish in school too, but I know that she will learn a lot faster working one on one with Arantxa.   Normally Ciara will do Discovery with Verina Monday and Wednesday afternoons, but today Verina was sick, so we took the opportunity to read some of the book they are readying in class.  The book is "Hatchet" by Gary Paulson.  Nathan read it last year and loved it.

We'll see how Ciara fares tomorrow, it will be her first full day back at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on anything you read