Friday, October 10, 2014

Week 5, Friday

This morning after the boys got off to school, Ciara and I got right into gardening.  We took our pansy seeds that we had soaked in water for 3 days and planted them in egg cartons and a few in an empty planter box off our back terrace.  I honestly haven't planted anything in years.  I am glad that Ciara has shown interest in gardening as this may help me to take care of what few plants we have here.  One of the nice things about living in Barcelona is the fact that we can garden almost all year.  I'm sure that we planted over two hundred pansy seeds, so let's hope we get at least a few flowers.

After we finished our gardening, Ciara wanted to learn more about Marie Curie.  I remember that she read a book about Marie Curie at my parent's place when we visited them in Vancouver this past summer.  Ciara and I watched a short video about her life, you can see it here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx3tw5_marie-curie-biography_lifestyle.  I have to admit that I was wiping back tears at the end of the video.  I am glad that Ciara is interested in studying about such a great woman.  I am hoping that it will inspire her to achieve great things in her life.  Ciara took notes and then later made her own short movie about Marie Curie using Flipnote Studio on her DS. 

I received an e-mail from the school director this morning confirming that Ciara will be attending 5th grade and will be starting on Monday Oct. 20th.  So that means we have at least one more full week of homeschooling, yeah!

This afternoon for our cooking class, Ciara finally perfected the rainbow cake.  I hope that now we can move on to other recipes. 

For social studies this afternoon, Ciara wanted to take a break from Ancient Greece, so I let her choose what topic to study.  She chose the Black Plague and the history of chocolate.  Two very different topics, but both interesting in their own way.



Growing pansies


Maybe we'll get hundreds of pansies


Ciara watering the plants


Check out the awesome rainbow cake!


Cole enjoying some cake




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on anything you read