Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 6, Tuesday

This morning we were greeted by the noise of some kind of street work in our complex.  The smell that accompanied the noise told me that someone was working on the sewers.   It's something that we have kind of gotten used to over the past year.  The smell of raw sewage permeates the air in several areas around the city and once in a while in our neighbourhood as well.  After the boys left for school, I decided that it would be best for Ciara and I to go out for awhile.

I thought about all the interesting outings that Ciara and I didn't get the chance to do.  Over the past month I was so concerned about keeping up with the curriculum that I forgot to plan any real field trips.  It's a shame, as Ciara goes back to school tomorrow, it will be more difficult to do any outings together.   Our outing this morning consisted of going to the gas station and then we made a run to Lidl, which is a grocery store that sells a very eclectic selection of food item.  The purpose of our trip was to buy pretzel buns (the only grocery store I know that sells them), but we always need something else and so we ended up with a basket full of groceries.

By the time we got home, the smell of sewage was gone, yippee!! We worked on multiplying and dividing fractions, had a lesson on how to fix run-on sentences and coma splices, made brownies and then learned about cells.  While I was looking for some resources to use for our writing class, I came across this website: http://www.time4writing.com/free-writing-resources/.  There are a whole bunch of free mini-lessons on writing that you can use to supplement your writing curriculum.

Tonight after Ciara and I read together, we talked a bit about going back to school.   She has not shown any apprehension or nervousness since I started telling her that it would be a probability.  Tonight for the first time, she told me that she didn't want to go back to school.  I told her that it would be much easier this time as she will be going back into grade 5 and she will already know pretty much everything.   She seemed okay with that and went to bed.

I think tomorrow I will have to change the title of this blog as "Homeschooling in Barcelona" seems a bit of a misnomer now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on anything you read