Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Getting a Spanish Driver's Licence

Since I have expanded the scope of this blog, I can write about some interesting things we did in the past.  Back in February, I took the preparation course for the written portion of the Spanish driver's licence exam.  Even though I have been driving for over 24 years, anyone from Canada or the US (as well as most other countries outside of the EU) have to take the exam to get a Spanish licence.

I didn't think that it would be a big deal because you can take the written test in English.  We were warned after we arrived in  Barcelona that the written test was not so straightforward, and they were right.  So after 3 weekends of classes and over 4 weeks of studying, I took the written exam and passed, thank goodness!  I was also able to pass the driving portion of the exam as well a month later.  The whole process took almost 3 months and over 800€ (about $1130 CND).

Studying for the written test involved taking a series of practice exams with questions that could appear on the test.  The problem is that a certain percentage, like say 30% of the questions make no sense, so you have to just try to memorize the correct answer.  There are only 30 multiple choice questions on the test, but we had to do over 80 practice tests in order to be sure that we had seen all the possible questions that might be on the exam.  This meant doing hours and hours of practice exams.

Here are a few examples of exam questions, and you will see why you need a little more than common sense to pass the exam.


This is one of the best examples of strangely-worded questions.  I don't know how many times I have read this, and I still have no idea what it means. 



The exam was full of useful information.  The correct answer is in green. 

 

More useful information, for the next time I plan to drive a cycle convoy vehicle on a road with a hard shoulder fit to traffic.




Now I know that dawn and early afternoon are favourable to drowsiness.



At least now I know how to treat older drivers dealing with complex driving situations because before I used to regard them as children.



You'd better slow down, because bursting out fatigue sounds painful.



I see an age discrimination lawsuit here!



I don't know about you, but I'm going to give priority to the tram, even if I have the right of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on anything you read