Monday, October 27, 2014

New Toys

Ciara loves to rollerblade.  When we still lived in Canada she received an old pair of rollerblades from a  family friend.  She used them until the wheels were no longer round, they were more like squares.  Then she started using my rollerblades.  Nathan used to wear my rollerblades and now he uses Bob's rollerblades.  Needless to say both Bob and I may never rollerblade again.  Ciara used my blades every day.  The latches broke, so I used duct tape (my best friend) to attach velcro straps so that she could continue to wear them.  Last week, I noticed that the entire outer casing of the rollerblades was falling off.

On Saturday I told Ciara that we would have to throw them away, but that I would buy her a new pair for her birthday.  Oddly enough, she protested.  She did not want to get rid of my old rollerblades.  Fortunately, the German school, which is just down the street from us, was having its semi-annual yard sale.  It's a huge affair and so I convinced Ciara to come with me to check it out.  Cole also came because he needed a scooter.  He destroyed our old scooter a few weeks ago.  Seems like our kids are really rough on recreational equipment.  We were very lucky to grab a pair of rollerblades for Ciara in great condition for 5€.  We found an old beat-up scooter for Cole for 2€!

It was a beautiful day and I had promised Nathan awhile back that we could go to the beach.   We headed towards Castelldefels, which is about 20min away.  On the way we stopped at Decathlon because they were having a sale on all their summer stuff.   The kids ran in to look at the skateboards.  Ciara decided to use the birthday money she got from her aunt to buy a penny board, which is a small sturdy plastic skateboard.  I assume that she had some pressure from Nathan, who has been interested in getting a penny board for some time now.

At Castelldefels there is a very long concrete walkway that goes along the beach.  The kids got to try out all their new toys: the rollerblades, the scooter, and the penny board.  I had never seen a penny board before Saturday.  It was actually much more fun and easy to use than I expected.  It feels safer than a skateboard.  So there you go, another thing that we have tried in Barcelona!


Ciara on the new penny board




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on anything you read